Contributors

Saturday, September 21, 2013

The train 'The Canadian'

Don reporting

At the station the train, ready for boarding, is split into two sections. When these are loaded the first section, with the front carriages, pulls out, a switch is thrown, and then the front sections reverses and couples up to the rear section. A slight bump and we are off.


Waiting to board we have the use of a small lounge and an outside seating area. The later, in full view of the train is what I made use of. The sun had gone down, the temperature had fallen and it was still twilight - very pleasant.


Sitting outside offered plenty of interest, seeing the bags and supplies loaded onto the train. Passing just where I was sitting had been fresh vegetables, boxes of food, a complete cart filled with bags of ice and to go with it bottles of wine and other interesting things. Looks like we won't go hungry or thirsty.

About 8 pm we boarded the train. I found my room and there was my bag waiting for me. A quick look around my room - the layout can be described from the following photo...


Here I am sitting on my seat taking the photo looking into a mirror. Immediately in front of me, out of sight at the bottom of the photo, is a toilet with a seat cover on top. When used as a foot stool my feet are about 6 inches from wall with the mirror on. Just visible to the left is a wash basin and a tap for drinking water. Behind me, reflected in the mirror is the fold down bed and high up very effective fan. Luckily I can sleep through without the need of the toilet, because when folded down the bed complete covers it. Just a few steps down the carriage is a shower complete with a changing room. Everything is quite compact but more that adequate for the four day journey.

Three coaches, towards the front is the first of two dinning cars while one car to the rear is a a lounge car with dome observation area.


Today we are travelling through the Rockies and while at lunch the train slowed so we could see the Pyramid Falls.



That's all for today. I hope to get of at Jasper to use the WiFi in the station to post this.



No comments:

Post a Comment