Contributors

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Monument Valley to Flagstaff

Jane Reporting for 10th October

We woke up very early this morning (10th October) in case the cloud had cleared and we were in for a spectacular sunrise.  Sadly there had been no improvement in the weather, in fact the clouds were lower and the rain was falling, plus the wind was very, very bitter.


O'dark o'clock at Monument Valley

Never mind, the room was toasty warm and the breakfast was very nice.  (Gary had porridge again.)


While I Was Asleep
We then set off for Flagstaff but since I had a very nice sleep in the car I am having to rely on the photos Lyn took on my camera.


Lyn captures the rock formations


Close up of the formations


Circular wind erosion?


More rocks

Originally we were heading for Canyon de Chelly National Monument, though we had some doubts about it being open as it was a National Monument so likely affected by the park closures.  Never mind the park closures - the temperature dropped to 36 degrees F (2 degrees C), it was raining, and the wind was even worse than at Monument Valley!   Discretion was the better part of valour and we kept on driving.


While I Stayed in the Car
We did stop at the Meteor Crater that we visited last time.  The cost to get in is now a whopping $15 per head but it was open.  Again these are Lyn's photos taken on my camera:


Meteor crater

The wind was strong enough that the parents with children were having to hold onto them on the stairs to prevent them being blown off but Geoff almost managed a smile for this photo:


Geoff in front of the meteor crater

During one of Gary's Australian camping trips with his brothers there was some talk of making the long drive (further) off the beaten track to see the Wolf Creek meteor crater - and here it was featuring in the display in Arizona.


Meteor craters in Western Australia


My Own Photo
Finally I took a photo on my camera - this of a train transporting truck trailers, which I thought rather quirky.  Not a great photo but I only got it taken a couple of cars before the end.


Train carrying truck trailers


The Weather

This morning while checking the weather at Monument Valley - I know, we were there and could have just opened the balcony door but I wanted to know what the temperature was - I also checked Flagstaff to find it was 0 degrees C (freezing) and a light snow was falling.  Lyn has become very excited by this and hopes for a large overnight snowfall tonight.

Our waiter at tea tonight said that it was an early first snow and that last time it snowed in October was in 1993.  Lyn might be lucky yet ...


State Quarters
Montana.  Cow skull.  Really?


State Quarters: Montana

No comments:

Post a Comment