Contributors

Monday, May 25, 2015

Monday, drive to Christchurch.

First, Sunday night a David's. An extremely enjoyable evening going through two sets of Antarctic slides taken during the 1960 winter by our leader and doctor. As there were so many I had asked David to slect those taken-in or around A-hut, our kitchen, mess hall, radio room and leader's office. One-by-one we went through the slides with me identify what was happening and who was there and David methodically record the details. It was marvelous reliving the social side of that 1960 winter. I had forgotten the birthdays we celebrated and the good times we had. The Carpenter cutting his cake with a tenison saw and the Doc's birthday cake in the form of a red cross and decorated with surgical instruments. Made me remember my cake with a minature Auroral Radar hut and aerials.

I had often told the story of one Sunday when it was the docs turn to cook, he used a large hypodermic syringe to inject the steaks with rum. Sure enough there was a slide capturing him in the act.

Come nine o'clock I headed home--it was freezing and snow covered the roof of the car.

At David's we had made arrangements for lady doing a series oral histories for the Antarctic Society to meet me at the hotel before I left for ChCh. The next morning it was even colder and the receptionist told me the northern exit from Dunedin was blocked by ice and snow. It was just after this that oral historian rang me to say she wouldn't be coming in. She lived 40 km inland and everthing out there was covered in snow.

I packed the car and about 9.30 I was heading north first for Timaru, then Ashburton, and then onto my hotel. I had planned to call in to a book shop and an Air Museum on the way. However, once I got the inside of the car warmed up no way was I getting out until I was at the Hotel in ChCh. The camera stayed in my bag so Monday has no photgraphic record.

Just for those who like some illustration here is another photo from the portal and one of large metal flies climbing the wall.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment